RadioStPete Newsletter August 2023
- ***PLEASE VOTE*** for RadioStPete for best radio station in Creative Loafing’s Best of the Bay 2023 contest: click here or here to vote: “Best Radio Station” is found under the Entertainment Voting ends August 31, 2023.
- Wow! “For those keeping score, we now have 1,024 acts and 3,221 songs in the catalog. This likely represents over 3,000 musicians.” –J Kolb on the current stats of the RadioStPete
- RadioStPete had a special all-day event for the July 4, 2023 anniversary, streaming non-stop greatest hits from our local Tampa Bay musician’s catalog from 2-11pm.
- Joe Bourdow, J Kolb, and John Frinzi appeared on the ABC Action News WFTS Tampa Bay Morning Blend Show on Monday, July 31. https://www.abcactionnews.com/morning-blend The Morning Blend is a local lifestyle program that has guests from a variety of community organizations and businesses. The Morning Blend also covers the events unique to the Bay area. Watch the replay here or here.
- A reminder that Karen Carmichael created the new RadioStPete Instagram page:
*** Please follow here! In the past 3 months, the following has grown from 78 to 162 followers on the new Instagram page! Thank you to everyone who’s already followed!
- Women In Song: Host Fiona Frensche has invited Sarah Teeney Long from Ernestine Black and Rebecca Zapen to join her in the studio for August broadcasts. To hear these wonderful artists play and be interviewed, tune in Mondays at 4pm for Women In Song.
- Women In Song honored the life and legacy of Sinéad O’Connor in the July 31st Listen to that episode here or here.
- Bootleg (perfectly legal of course) airs Tuesdays from 6-7PM. Tuesday, August 1st featured Rebekah Pulley and June Bunch from the June 2023 fundraiser event.
- Saturday, August 5, 2023: The Florida Folk Show will have a live interview with, co-founder and COO of INVERSA Leathers, Roland Salatino. INVERSA Leathers manufactures and sells leather products produced from the pelts of invasive species such as the Everglades python and lion fish, on this broadcast, live from Creative Grape. Find out more: https://www.inversaleathers.com. The video is available here or here.
- Saturday, August 5, 2023: The Florida Folk Show will also have a live interview with Kim Caswell, the founder and past president of Skyway Cats, an organization that feeds, protects, provides medical care, and seeks adoptions for a large population of feral cats living near the Skyway Bridge. Skyway Cats is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization in need of volunteers. Find out more: https://skywaycats.com/ Musical guests for the August 5 broadcast is: Hapi & Patty, the Crabgrass Cowboys. The video is available here or here.
- Saturday, August 12, 2023: The Florida Folk Show will have a live interview with Elise Bennett, the director of the Center for Biological Diversity. Bennett will speak on gopher tortoises in Pinellas County and also inform listeners about several environmental issues facing St. Petersburg. Find out more: https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/
- Musical guests The St. Pete Mountain Boys will perform on the Saturday, August 19 live broadcast of The Florida Folk Show. Also, musical guest, Berkeley Grimball will play his self-made podharp. The podharp is a musical instrument he invented, using a large, dried palm seed pod, nylon strings, and violin tuning pegs. Grimball plays many instruments, but this unique harp is unlike any in the world. Find out more: https://thegabber.com/worlds-greatest-podharp-player/ and listen to the St Pete Mountain Boys online here:
- Musical guest Dean Johanesen will perform on the Saturday, August 26 live broadcast of The Florida Folk Show. Johanesen, of Sarasota, will have just returned from a US tour. He plays circus swing and American roots music. Find out more: https://deanjohanesen.com/
- The Florida Folk Show, the second through final Saturdays of the month, 10am until 12pm, mostly airing live at The Craftsman House, 2955 Central Ave N. St. Petersburg, FL 33713. Though other broadcasts have taken place in the community at: Hawthorne Bottle Shoppe, Studio Public House, Bula, and Seven C Music, just to name a few!
- Florida Folk Show Live on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/970269976317243
- Jeanette Edwards of Friends of the Pelicans appeared on the Florida Folk Show on July 15, 2023. She spoke about the then upcoming FWC meeting in St. Petersburg, with hopes that it will bring new restrictions to fishing practices on the Sunshine Skyway Pier. The meeting with FWC had 52 speakers and the final decision was made. Find out more about the final decision here and to watch the broadcast of the interview you can do so on Facebook here or read a detailed post about the brown pelican in regards to this event and the city of Petersburg here. Pete Gallagher gave a lot of great information about the history of the brown pelican and the relationship the species has had with the city over the last 100 years in the broadcast and much of his information was referenced in the piece written.
- Florida Folk Nights (of Florida Folk Show) has moved to Bayboro Brewing, located at 2390 5th Ave S in St. Petersburg, Mondays from 6-8PM. The Florida Boys open every show and August guests include: Reverend Billy C Wirtz (August 14), The St. Pete Mountain Boys (August 21), and Dean Johanesen (August 28).
- Mark O Radio Happy Hour goes live every Friday from 6-8PM with fun and exciting conversations about current events and interesting topics! Want to call in and join the show? Call Mark and Stephanie at 727-498-0502 during the broadcast and you’ll be on the air!
- Mark O Radio Happy Hour will feature Annamarie and Wolf Smith-Butz (Wolf, On The Radio, from the Friday Afternoon Blues, Fridays at 4pm) on the Friday, August 11 broadcast. Mark and Stephanie will also feature Alexis Baum (AB Sees You and Florida Folk Show) and Stefanie Hinton (Get to the Roots and Florida Folk Show) on the Friday, August 25 broadcast.
- Mark O Radio Happy Hour featured Mosh on the Friday, July 28 show, with exciting news about Mosh Jelton’s Birthday Rap Battle that took place at Brennan’s Sports Bar in Holiday, FL on July 29th. Mosh celebrates 37 years! Happy belated birthday Mosh!
- Gallery Grooves at the Morean Arts Center returns Wednesday, September 13, with Charlie Morris. The show will be a live remote broadcast at the Morean Arts Center located at: 719 Central Ave N. St. Petersburg, FL 33701. Doors are at 5:30PM and the show is from 6-7PM. Come in person or listen live on RadioStPete!
- Gallery Grooves at the Morean Arts Center will continue with John Frinzi in November. The date is TBD.
- The Dirty Side of the Track will join RadioStPete on the Florida Sports Stream, a podcast about Formula 1 racing! The time and date will be decided soon!
- A new EDM (electronic dance music) show will join RadioStPete airing Thursdays at 10pm!
Web & Social Media:
- RadioStPete Website: https://radiostpete.com/
- RadioStPete Podcast Archives: https://radiostpete.com/podcast-archives/
- RadioStPete Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RadioStPete
- RadioStPete Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/radio_stpete/
- Florida Folk Show Website: https://www.floridafolkshow.com/
- Florida Folk Show Podcast Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FloridaFolkShowPodcast/
- Florida Folk Show Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/970269976317243
- Fiona Frenche Women of Song Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fiona.frensche1
- The Power Hour with Michael and Leah Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThePowerHourRadioStPete
- Mark O Radio Happy Hour: https://markoradioshow.com/
- Mark O (Mark Ginn) on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004682054690
Links for Podcasts Available on RadioStPete:
- Cool Jazz by Mike Townes also available here: https://www.blackcultureradio.com/qtvideo/michael-townes-cool-jazz-radio-show-1/
- The Dirty Side of the Track Podcast: https://www.dirtysideofthetrack.com
- Folk Alley Radio Show: https://folkalley.com/folk-alley-radio-show/
- The International Americana Music Show: https://www.tiams.org/
- The Acoustic Café with Rob Reinhart: https://www.acafe.com/about-acoustic-cafe
- WoodSongs Old Time Radio with Michael Johnathon: https://www.woodsongs.com/
- The Mosh Jelton Show on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/628318965145706/
- Spike on the Mic: https://spikeonthemic.com/
- Blues Café with Steve James: https://stevejamesblues.com/
- Not Your Mother’s Tongue with Marissa: https://www.mixcloud.com/not-your-mothers-tongue/
- Filmspotting with Adam Kempenaar and Josh Larsen: https://www.filmspotting.net/about
- The Flower Power Hour with Ken and MJ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100075701214344
- Beale Street Caravan: https://www.bealestreetcaravan.com/
- Lite Lounge with Dimitri K. on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL240eFG6LacRTBkwoukZNI-a-J2rIiZA7
- The Homemade Broadcast with Will Kuncz on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Hmbradio/
- The Art of the Song: https://artofthesong.org/
- Ozark Highlands Radio: https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/ozark-highlands-radio
- Typewriter Talks with Maureen McDole: https://keepstpetelit.org/typewriter-talks/
- Welcome to Florida with Craig Pittman: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1169570 ; https://craigpittman.com/
- Heart and Voice with Peter DuBois: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/741878795/with-heart-and-voice
- Classical Guitar Alive with Tony Morris: http://www.guitaralive.org/home.html
- High Country Celtic with Katie and Joe: https://highcountrycelticradio.com/
- Jazz at Daybreak with David Basse: https://www.davidbasse.com
- A Way With Words Martha Barnette and Grant Barrett: https://www.waywordradio.org/
Is something missing? Please email: [email protected]
Compiled and written by: Joe Bourdow. J Kolb, Andie Rogas, and Stefanie Hinton